2018-2019 Preschool Registration
Pre-registration for existing Care to Learn Preschool families began April 9th. Parents were emailed information on how to register using our new online registration form and the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Registration for the 2018-2019 school year is now open to the public. Please register using School Engage by clicking HERE. You will need to provide citizenship documentation as part of the process (birth certificate, passport, citizenship documents), so please have that available to upload.
Once you have submitted your form, it may take up to five working days (Monday-Friday, excluding statutory holidays) for us to review your form and availability in the class you have selected. You may receive a call from our division coordinator during that time to confirm details.
Once your enrollment has been confirmed, you will need to complete your enrollment by paying your deposit. This is the process you will need to follow:
- You will receive an email with your Access ID and Access Password for the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Instructions on how to create an account and link your student to that account have been posted HERE. You will need to do this to access your student's ASN (Alberta Student Number), which you will need to set up an account in School Cash Online, or to attach your student to your existing School Cash Online account.
- If you do not already have a School Cash Online account, please follow the instructions HERE to set one up and attach your student to your account using their ASN.
- You will receive an email notification from School Cash online when your preschool deposit is available to be paid. This may take up to 24 hours.
If you need assistance in setting up or using School Cash Online, please contact your school. Your space in the preschool program will be held for two weeks from the date your enrollment is confirmed. If you have not made payment by that time, your space may be assigned to someone else. If you are experiencing difficulty paying the fee on time or need assistance with applying for the Provincial Government's Child Care Subsidy, please contact our Division Coordinator, Glenda Bouvier, at 780-623-4414.
If you wish to register for preschool for the remainder of this school year, please email email@example.com
Care to Learn Preschool is a provincially-licensed organization located in eight schools in Northern Lights Public Schools.
We are a developmental preschool, providing learning, growth and play opportunities for pre-Kindergarten aged children through music, arts and crafts, games, physical activity, early math and literacy centres, and more.
Our preschool program is designed to support families in their efforts to provide their preschool-aged child with the following essential skills: independence; decision-making; imagination and creativity; sense of community; communication; learning through exploration; problem-solving; feelings of value and self-worth; and relating to others.
A government childcare subsidy is available. Parents are not required to fundraise for the program.
We offer many options for parents to choose from.
Our Three-Hour Program is available in the mornings and afternoons and there are options to attend either two or three classes per week. Not all options are available at every location due to enrollment numbers and staff availability.
The Three-Hour Program is available at Ardmore School, Cold Lake Elementary School, Duclos School, Glendon School, Iron River School, North Star Elementary School, Vera M. Welsh Elementary School and Wandering River School.
We also offer a Full-Day option at Duclos School in Bonnyville where children can attend preschool five days a week.
More information on program availability and fees for the 2018-2019 school year is available in the Fee Schedules section below.
Please note our preschool programs (with the exception of the full-day program at Duclos School), follow the Northern Lights Public Schools calendar and there are no preschool classes on no school days.
More information about our program is included in our 2018-2019 Parent Handbook.
Care to Learn Preschool Fee Schedules
Please click on the program you are interested in attending for information on what classes are available and the fees for the 2018-2019 school year.
Ages & Stages Questionnaires
Care to Learn Preschool uses the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) as a developmental screening tool. We ask each parent to fill out an Ages and Stages Questionnaire and an Ages and Stages Social Emotional Questionnaire for each child enrolled in our preschool program.
The first five years of life are very important because this time sets the stage for success in school and later adulthood. This is optimal time for your child to learn through play and experiences. It is important to ensure that each child’s development is proceeding without problems during this period. The Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) covers the following areas:
- Communication: looks at the child’s language skills, both what he/she understands and what he/she can say.
- Gross motor: looks at large muscle movement and co-ordination.
- Fine motor: looks at hand and finger movement and co-ordination.
- Problem-solving: looks at how the child plays with toys and the child’s problem-solving skills.
- Personal social: looks at the child’s self-help skills and interactions with others.
- Overall section addresses general parental concerns.
The Ages and Stages Questionnaire: Social-Emotional (ASQ-SE) complements the ASQ by providing information specifically addressing the social and emotional behaviour of children.
Please select the questionnaires below that are closest to the age your child will be when they start preschool, fill them out and give them to your child's preschool instructor on the first day of school.