Want to make a difference in public education? The next school board election will take place on October 16, 2017. You can get involved by running for trustee in your ward, or by voting for one of the candidates for school board trustee.
NOMINATION DAY UPDATE
At the close of the official nomination period today (September 19, 2017) at noon, the following people had submitted their names for the office of trustee with Northern Lights Public Schools:
- Ward 1 – Bonnyville and area
- Lorne Kaban
- Garry Kissel
- Michael Topylki
- Ward 2 – Cold Lake and area
- Karen Packard
- Mandi Skogen
- Ron Young
- Ward 3 – Lac La Biche
- Maurice Richard
- Ward 4 – Lac La Biche-Plamondon
- Arlene Hrynyk
- Ward 5 – Lac La Biche South
- Debra Lozinski
All nominations are unofficial pending the mandatory 24-hour withdrawal period. Official nomination results will be released once that period has passed.
Information for Potential Candidates
School board trustees play a valuable role in providing leadership and guidance to the school division. They are advocates for children and education, goal setters, planners, evaluators, and policy makers.
For more on what trustees do please check out the following resources:
- Be a leader in your community, become a school board trustee - Alberta School Boards Association
- What is the role of the school trustee? - Alberta Teachers' Association
Potential candidates who want to learn more about the role of a trustee and what happens at a board meeting are encouraged to attend a Board Meeting. There is one Board Meeting prior to Nomination Day. It will take place at the Northern Lights Division Office in Bonnyville on August 30. The public portion of the meeting will begin at 1 p.m. The agenda will be posted on the Board Meeting section of the website prior to the meeting.
The Northern Lights Public Schools Board of Trustees consists of nine trustees from the following wards:
- Three trustees from Ward 1 - Bonnyville and Area
- Three trustees from Ward 2 - Cold Lake and Area
- One trustee from Ward 3 - Lac La Biche
- One trustee from Ward 4 - Lac La Biche - Plamondon
- One trustee from Ward 5 - Lac La Biche South
More information about our board can be found on the Board section of our site, including:
- Board Meeting agendas, minutes and highlights
- Board policies
The following policies may be of particular interest to potential candidates:
- Board expense reports
- Committees of the board
Nominations are now closed for the 2017 election.
A Nomination Paper and Candidate's Acceptance, as well as relevant information from the Local Authorities Election Act and the School Act, can be found in our Nomination Package. Hard copies can also be picked up at our Division Office (6005 - 50 Avenue) in Bonnyville.
The following resources may be of use as you consider running for trustee:
- Alberta School Board's Association - Trustee Election 2017
- Trustee Elections Frequently Asked Questions
- Alberta Education 2017 School Board Elections Information Package
- Public School Boards' Association of Alberta
- Local Authorities Election Act
- School Act
Information about where and when to vote will be posted once Nomination Day has passed and an election has been confirmed.
Please continue to check this page for election updates and results.